BIO FOR LARRY PHILLIPS
I have served in a variety of leadership roles in the VFW, at the Post, District, Department, and National levels. My experience clearly demonstrates the dedication necessary to make a difference as Department Surgeon. If elected to the office of Surgeon of the Department of Missouri, I pledge to visit the Veterans Hospitals and Veterans Care Facilities throughout the State of Missouri. I know we are in troubling times with COVID-19 restrictions, but I will continue to advocate for the best care for our Comrades in these facilities. I will also work hard to assist the Veterans Service Officers of this Department in their efforts to secure the benefits our Veterans deserve. I will work with my fellow elected and appointed officers to help the Department, every District, and Post in the State of Missouri to achieve their goals. I also pledge to help all Veterans and their families in any way I can. I have the complete support of my family, Post and District. I have the experience, dedication, and commitment to fulfill the responsibilities as Department Surgeon and I ask for your support and your vote in my quest for this High Office.
· Born in Pratt, Kansas.
· Graduated from Center High School in Kansas City, Mo.
· Joined the U.S. Army in 1969 with the Army Security Agency. MOS - Special Identification Techniques Analyst
· Stationed at the 7th RRFS, Udorn Thailand, receiving the Vietnam Service and Campaign medals. Then Stationed at Field Station Bad Aibling, Germany and separated service in 1972.
· Worked 39 years for the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority retiring in 2014 as the Assistant Superintendent of Transportation.
· I have 3 daughters and 7 grandchildren.
· I Currently reside in Independence, Mo. with my Fiancée, Kathy Pratt
· VFW Background:
· Joined the VFW in 1982 at Post 7900 Kansas City and held offices of Post Adjutant, Post Chaplin, and Post Commander receiving All State Commander in 2010-2011.
· After Post 7900 merged with 5789 in 2011, serve as Post Quartermaster since 2013 to present receiving All State Quartermaster 8 years.
· District 5 Surgeon, Jr. Vice Commander, Sr. Vice Commander and Commander, earning All State Commander in 2014-2015.
· Department Judge Advocate from 2018 to Present. Served 2 years as VSIO Chairman and since 2018 serve as Veterans and Military Support Chairman. Served on committee to rewrite SOP and Employee handbook.
· Appointments as National Aide-de-Camp, National Special Aide-de-Camp, National Finance Resolution Committee, National Assistant Chief of Staff, and as member of the National Veterans and Military Support Committee. Transportation Committee for the National Convention in Kansas City
· Life member of Heart of America Pup Tent 1 Military Order of Cooties. Sky Pilot for Pup Tent. Past Grand of Missouri Hospital Chairman. Current Grand of Missouri Blood Chairman,
· Member of American Legion Post 21, Independence Missouri
· Co-Chair for the Missouri Korean War Veterans Memorial Flag Day Ceremony.
· Phone: 816-872-6404
· Email: firstname.lastname@example.org